Saturday, September 5, 2009

Robert Coulter - Radar Unit 53

Robert K. Coulter
Timaru.
06.05.1992
Around Xmas 1944 I passed through Tulagi (Florida Island) on route to an island called Malaita, I was a wireless operator posted to a radar unit 53 said to be the most isolated post of all RNZAF stations. This unit was situated at Cape Astrolabe, Malaita & operated from second week October 1943 until closure approx end February 1945. This unit was serviced by NR.6 Flying Boat Squadron, also American vessel called once each month.
We boarded the Flying Boat at Halavo Bay & flew to Cape Astrolabe where they dropped smoke bombs (for wind I think) & landed in the sea. I am not sure whether we had to swim or were picked up by a dinghy. I remember with the American vessel most of the cargo especially fuel in drums was pushed over the side, & we swam it all ashore. Had a lot of native help & I needed it because I was very poor at staying up in the water. …
There was a Missionary Hospital further down Malaita & 6FB Flying Boats would unload supplies for us & then take aboard some Radar Operators, Wireless Ops also natives as guards & drop them all off at the Hospital, they would all walk back after about four days Holiday.”

No comments:

Post a Comment